Image © Michelle Grubb-Blackwood
“Nutty and nutritious, this side dish will be enjoyed by all!” – Michelle Grub-Blackwood, Healthier Steps
Sweet Potato Soufflé
Course: Side Dish
For the Topping:
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour*
- 2 Tbsp. coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
For the Soufflé:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pecans for garnish optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and pierce sweet potatoes with a knife; place on baking tray and bake for 1 hour. Lightly grease a casserole dish and set aside.
Make the topping: combine coconut oil, rice flour, coconut sugar and ground pecans in a medium bowl and set aside.
Make the soufflé: remove sweet potatoes from oven. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and mash with a potato masher.
Stir in coconut milk, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, ginger, salt, coriander, and cardamom until fully combined.
Spoon soufflé into a casserole dish and sprinkle with topping. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes, garnish with chopped pecans and serve.
The coconut palm sugar can be substituted with brown sugar.
* Make your own brown rice flour by adding brown rice to a food processor and blending until it turns to powder, or you can use a grain mill.