By Nita Ragoonanan, Tastes Spicy/Images © Nita Ragoonanan
Ginger Seafood Curry
- 1/2 lb small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 6 oz of fresh bay scallops
- 6 oz fresh cod cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 a fennel bulb finely chopped
- 1/2 an onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. freshly minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. freshly minced garlic
- 1 habanero pepper leave whole
- 1 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and fennel and sauté until translucent about 5 to 6 minutes.
Add ginger and garlic and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, while stirring occassionally. Add red curry paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, habanero pepper and chickpeas. Season with salt and black pepper. Let simmer until the sauce has reduced and just starting to thicken.
While the sauce is reducing, season the shrimp, fish and scallops with salt and black pepper then add them to the pot along with the lemon juice.
Cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, just until shrimp turns pink and the fish is cooked through. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. If you like spicy, you can make a slice in the pepper. If not then discard the pepper at this time.
Serve with white rice and fresh cilantro.