Photo by Nita Ragoonanan
Callaloo with Crab
Course: Seafood, Soup
- 4 cups chopped spinach or dasheen bush bhagi
- 1 lb. fresh crab
- 4 cups fresh coconut milk
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red habanero pepper
- 2 tsp. freshly crushed garlic
- 1/2 large carrot sliced
- 8-10 leaves of shadon beni culantro
- 6 ochre tops and ends trimmed, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 whole pimento peppers
- 1 stalk Chinese celery with leaves chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin cubed
- 1 packet Maggie chicken noodle soup spice mix optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Golden Ray butter
To a large stock pot add the spinach, onion, garlic, whole habanero, pimentos, pumpkin, ochre, Chinese celery, shadon beni (culantro) and 4 cups of coconut milk. Set the pot on the stove over medium heat.
Once this comes to a bubble, add the crabs. Cook until the coconut milk has reduced and the spinach or dasheen bush has melted. If you are using spinach, it may not melt so you will have to use your immersion blender to chop it into a soup.
Add the packet of Maggie chicken noodle soup if you are using it. I used it because the seasonings are perfect for this and I love the little noodles in it if I decide to drink it like soup! Add the salt and pepper and butter and taste. Remove from the heat and serve with rice or like soup!